Objective: Minimize social media risks to children and the family.
Method: A graphics-rich slide deck and interactive narrative.Overview
The seminar first identifies the fundamental groups that traditionally comprise western society: Family, friends, school, employer, government/law/police, market/business and adversaries/burglars/predators.
The concept of Privacy is discussed next through three topics: Inappropriate photos and messages, the concept of ‘Nothing To Hide’ and social media providers’ Terms of Service agreements.
Inherent ‘Trouble’ comprises the third segment: Unfettered access to personal and private information by business; the potential for careless social networking to attract adversaries/burglars/predators; rationalizations for posting inappropriate content.
We conclude with feasible means of protection: Technical and behavioural methods, and Location Services.Additional topics are addressed in specific audience versions:
- Parental controls (parents and caregivers)
- Hierarchy of messaging privacy (parents and caregivers, senior students)
- Personal public relations (parents and caregivers, senior students)
- Social networking illegalities and the police (parents and caregivers, senior and intermediate students)
- Minimum age of 13 (junior students)
Duration: Parents and caregivers - 60 mins; senior students - 45 mins; intermediate students - 40 mins; junior students - 35 mins.
Download this overview as a pdf.